Like coffee? If you’re only drinking it, you’re missing out on some of the popular beverage’s other benefits, such as helping your garden grow and making your time outdoors more pleasant.
Consider the following.
- Coffee grounds will reduce the pH level of the soil around your plants, which can bring out their color. Just be sure that your plants aren’t in need of more acidity. Blueberry bushes would hate coffee grounds.
- Coffee’s properties make it a great natural insect repellent. All you need to do is sprinkle some anywhere you don’t want insects. You can even rub it on yourself to protect you from insect bites.
- Coffee is a good alternative to a chemical flea repellant for your dog. Rub coffee grounds into your dog’s fur after giving it a bath, then rinse. It will also make your dog smell nice, if you like the smell of coffee.
- Coffee is rich in nitrogen which is a great addition to your compost bin. For an extra-potent mix, add one part coffee, one part leaves and one part freshly mown grass. Mix together then add to the compost pile.
- If the drains for your home tend to clog, coffee can be a cheaper alternative to expensive drain cleaners and has the same results. Pour half a cup, along with dishwasher salt, into your drains. Then pour a full kettle of boiling water down the drain. It’s as simple as that, and no other chemicals are needed.
- Ground coffee beans can be added to any dry rub for flavoring food. Just add a couple of tablespoons to your dry rub for a smokier flavor for meats, such as chicken, pork and lamb.
- Coffee makes a great addition to cakes and other sweet treats. It is a particularly good accompaniment to chocolate, and of course, there’s the popular coffee and walnut cake.
- Remove strong odors from your hands. You can use wet coffee grounds to effectively remove odor by rubbing them on your fingers, then rinsing. It can be used after cutting vegetables, garlic or anything that leaves a strong odor.
- Coffee grounds work well as a face scrub because their texture helps exfoliate the skin and remove dead skin cells. Gently massage ground coffee into your skin and rinse. This technique can be used on your face and body.